Jantar Mantar Observatory, Delhi as depicted by William Simpson of Glasgow in 1859. Commissioned by Day & Son, one of the largest and most prominent lithographic firms of the second third of the nineteenth century. Simpson’s collection of 250 watercolours was sold off as bankrupt stock after the firm went into liquidation.

 

The Observatory was built in 1725 by the astronomer Raja Swai Jai Singh and consists of four main instruments, two having the main functionality of time measurements, and two meant principally for celestial co-ordinate measurements for the sun, moon, planets and stars.